Your reference consumption is an estimate of the amount of energy you would have consumed had there not been a Hilo challenge.
To calculate your reference consumption, Hilo uses your average consumption over preceding days. All calculations are made automatically.
- First, we take the most recent five days of the same type as the day of the challenge (excluding any recent challenge days). For example, for midweek challenges, we use the most recent five weekdays as the basis for this calculation.
- To make this average as representative as possible, we exclude any extreme data, specifically the days with the lowest and the highest consumption. The final calculation therefore considers the average of only three of the five selected days.
- On the day of the challenge, this average is adjusted to reflect the effect of the outdoor temperature on your consumption.
What influences your reference consumption
Your consumption profile is based on factors that are beyond Hilo’s control, such as:
- consumption habits
- residence type (home size, number of floors, type of building, number of
- walls exposed to the exterior)
- whether you have an electric vehicle
- the region you live in
- your lifestyle
- periods spent outside of the home